have you ever walked around a thrift store and seen all of those terrible 1970's light fixtures that obviously someone had the sense to throw out? well, i have and i've never known that they could look any better. that is, until i started thinking outside the box.
recently, i was at my local thrift store in cincinnati and found this beauty . . .
oh the possibilities! and you know the best part? it only cost me a dollar! i couldn't believe my luck. i mean, if you can see past the garish wood and rubbed brass, this lady had real potential. i knew she had to be mine . . . but where to even begin?
i decided that the bones of the light were worth way more than a dollar and that with a little creativity and spray paint, i could take this trash and make it a real treasure. here's what i did . .
first, i disassembled the light to see what i had to work with . . .
even after this project is completed i am left with these funky wood and beveled glass pieces that i intend to do an art piece with later.
after taking it apart i remembered that i had purchased some old chandelier crystals at a yard sale earlier this year, so i decided to add them and see which design worked best with the metal arms.
this is the design that i did not choose . . .
after i had a direction of what i wanted the finished product to be, i got out my spray paint and got to work!
i cut up a plastic bag and stuffed pieces of it in each socket so as not to spray the inside contacts, and then primed and sprayed the main piece as well as each smaller piece individually . . . allowing each coat of paint to thoroughly dry before recoating.
finally, i assembled the chandelier and hung the crystals.
voila! i'm super happy with the end result. it looks great in the foyer of my home and i especially like the reflection on the ceiling.
Project Cost Breakdown . . .
junk chandelier = $1
primer = $4
spray paint = $4
socket covers = $8
two replacement crystals = $4
chain = $2
Grand Total = $23!
*as with any electrical project, you should have the wiring checked by someone who knows what they're doing so you don't electrocute yourself or anyone else. in my case, my husband!